trees02 jantzenlogolink02

Home

jollyjoanmenu2link03

Site Map

News/Updates

pdxhistorylogo1a
NotePad02

E-mail PdxHistory.com

mel-blanc3a mnfclock04
kex-microphoneaa
L_oldradio-otraa
damascus-ice-cream-logoaa1
bellhop
waddleslogoa
cb--lw-mic
MR MOON1aa
oreelectricgraphic02

 

 

In 1905, the Willamette Valley Traction Company was organized to build an electric interurban railroad from Portland south to Salem. Planned branches included Hillsboro, Forest Grove, Newberg, McMinnville and Dallas. When it opened, it was christened the Oregon Electric Railway.

 

Early view of the Oregon Electric Railway at the 10th & Hoyt Street Station

 

Oregon Electric Champoeg Car in Portland

 

An Oregon Electric Train from Portland on the way to Eugene is stopped at Fulton Park Station in 1912

fairview-farms-bottleaa

An Oregon Electric Train bound for Portland is stopped at Multnomah

The Oregon Electric stopped at Multnomah Station on its way to Salem

A section of the double track near 45th and Multnomah Boulevard

Early view of the Garden Home Junction and Depot

Orenco Station

 

Oregon Electric Railway’s First Car to Hillsboro on September 30, 1908. Among the passengers and guests were officials from the Railway.

Oregon Electric Train at the Hillsboro Depot

 

Early view of the Hillsboro Depot

 

Oregon Electric Train at the Forest Grove Depot

OE Train stopped at the Wilsonville Station

 

Oregon Electric Sacajawea Car on High Street in Salem

Early view of the Oregon Electric Train at Salem. The first train run to Salem was on January 20, 1908.

In 1910, the powerful Jim Hill, who owned the Northern Pacific, bought the Oregon Electric Railway and made it a subsidiary of the Spokane Portland and Seattle Railway. The first step was to build lines south from Salem to Eugene.

An Oregon Electric Train Stopped in Salem in 1912. The building under construction is a new Masonic Temple.

The Champoeg Car was used on Special Runs and for Presidents, Politicians and their Political Campaigns

 

Service on the Oregon Electric to Albany began on July 4, 1912.

 

Oregon Electric Car No, 61 at Meadow View Station near Eugene.

 

Made_with_NetObjects_Fusion

Eugene welcomes the Oregon Electric Railway. Service from Portland to Eugene began October 15, 1912.

Early view of the Oregon Electric Depot in Eugene.

 

Southern Terminal for the Oregon Electric Railway at Eugene. Today this beautiful building houses a restaurant. Passenger Service ended June 30, 1933 and Electric Operations ended July 10, 1945.

 

Interior view of the Champoeg on the Luckenbach Special going from Portland to Eugene in November 1929. The Atwater Kent Screen Grid Radio is on loan for the trip. The gent on the left is reading a schedule for the Spokane Portland & Seattle Railway.

 

Oregon Electric Santiam Sleeper Car No. 1010 in Portland in 1913

Even though the Red Electrics boasted faster schedules, the Oregon Electrics were more elegant. The Oregon Electrics boasted parlor observation cars and sleepers.

 

Interior view of an Oregon Electric Railway Car

Oregon Electric Mail Car in Portland in 1939

 

Red Electrics

Portland Streetcars

Interurbans

Council Crest Trolleys

Last updated 12-06-08

copyright © 2013 PdxHistory.com

[Portland History] [Site Map] [Amusement Parks] [Historic Portland] [Department Stores] [Streetcars] [Go By Streetcar] [Railroads] [Mt Hood] [Oregon Coast] [Post Card History] [Portland Hotels] [Portland Neighborhoods] [Getaways] [Contact Us]
mayflower-pilgrim-boyaaa