micflash2 hoot-owl-art-sca MR MOON1aa amparkart2

One of the most popular gathering spots in Portland in the 1920’s was the Washington Street Hazelwood.

Early in the 20th Century, Portland was home to several prominent dairies. The Hazelwood Cream Company, located at 388 Washington (near 9th), was one of the earliest ice cream parlors.

The first Hazelwood Dairy was established in Spokane, Washington in 1889. In 1900, the Hazelwood Cream Company was established in Portland at Front and Ankeny streets where they manufactured and distributed the highest quality milk, butter, eggs, cheese, milk-fed poultry, ice cream and condensed milk.

Hazelwood products consistently won Gold Medals at the World’s Fair in St. Louis in 1904; the Lewis & Clark Exposition in Portland in 1905; the Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition in Seattle in 1909; and First Prize (Grand Diploma) at the Oregon State Fair in 1915..


Letterhead from the Hazelwood in 1902.


Halloween Pumpkins and other decorations can be seen in the windows.


At Your Service! Charles H. Derrie delivered products from the Hazelwood Creamery.


The Hazelwood was decorated for the Rose Fiesta in 1907.


Streetcar tracks and cobblestones are visible here.

Back of Hazelwood Menu from 1924.

The Garden at the Washington Street Hazelwood.

“Old English Court Effect” at the Washington Street Hazelwood.

Soda Fountain at the Washington Street Hazelwood.

Theater program ad from 1907. The Hazelwood was the place to go after a theater performance.

A Unique Corner of the Washington Street Hazelwood Cream Store.

The Old Well at the Washington Street Hazelwood.


The Hazelwood Butter Boy and Girl were awarded the Grand Diploma at the Oregon State Fair in 1915.

Magazine ad for The Hazelwood in 1921.

The Candy Department which was stocked by the Hazelwood Candy Kitchen.


The Hazelwood made their own fine candies in the Hazelwood Candy Kitchen.

Newspaper ad from 1924 which includes the Dairy Store at 126 Tenth St.

The Multnomah Hazelwood was a remotely located drive-in version of the Ice Cream Parlor and it was open 365 days a year at Multnomah Falls.


Early view of the original Multnomah Hazelwood stand, which was built in 1916 and torn down in 1919.

Photo courtesy of Stephen Kenney Jr.

In this view, you can see the new Union Pacific Depot which was located at Multnomah Falls with the Hazelwood Drive-in.  It was built in 1919 and torn down in 1924. Post card racks can be seen in front.

The last Hazelwood Confectionery closed in 1931.


Last updated 10-23-16


copyright © 2017 PdxHistory.com

[Portland History] [Site Map] [Amusement Parks] [Historic Portland] [Street Scenes] [Department Stores] [Streetcars] [Railroads] [Mt Hood] [Oregon Coast] [Post Card History] [Portland Hotels] [Portland Neighborhoods] [Getaways] [Contact Us]