The first ad for Swetland’s appeared in the Portland Oregonian on August 11, 1888 and their address was listed at 48 Morrison Street. Swetland’s placed ads in the Oregonian later that year announcing six flavors of Boston Chips, candy priced at 15 cents a pound and crystalized flowers just received direct from Paris. In 1890, Swetland’s advertisied on June 7 that they had opened new “ice cream rooms” and by October they served oysters and welcomed shopping luncheons for the ladies. In November 1890, they advertised that they served “coffee royal” and in June of 1891, they delivered ice cream to picnics and parties.
On Dec. 16, 1893, Swetland’s advertised under Help Wanted – Female: “Bon Bon dipper first class.” It was announced on July 4, 1898 that they had moved to a new store at 273 Morrison, near Fourth Street. On December 10, 1898, Swetland’s announced that they were selling candy in fancy Indian baskets for Christmas. It was announced that chicken pies were available noon to midnight on Sept. 15, 1901.
An article appeared in the October 6, 1901 edition of the Sunday Oregonian to announce that “Messrs. Edwin and Louis Swetland had disposed of their interests in the firm to Lot Q. Swetland whose energy and familiarity with the business will enable him to add to the spendid reputation already established by the house.
During the past 15 years, sweetmeats and Swetland’s have been almost synonymous terms in the minds of Portland people. It has been almost impossible to think of one without the other. During all these years, this house has held a high place in the estimation of the public, and it has earned its reputation by maintaining at all times the highest standard of excellence in all its manufactures. Perfection and purity have been, are, and will be its ideals.
Prompt and quiet attention, neat and tasteful surroundings, homelike cooking, and appetizing dishes, have made our lunches the most popular in the city. Freshness, purity of ingredients and perfection in manufacture have made our confections a household word in the community, and our untiring efforts to give our patrons the very best in all lines have given us a gratifying popularity throughout the entire Northwest.”
In 1902, Swetland’s advertised that they offered “Frozen Dainties and Creamed Strawberries.” An announcement appeared in the Oregonian on May 31, 1903 that Manager L.Q. Swetland (former proprietor of Swetland’s) had opened Swetland Candy Company at 344 Washington Street where he oversaw the manufacture of Swetland’s candy.